Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Overnight Refrigerator Oats

I am so sorry that I haven't been posting very much. The summer has been super busy, and then little man and I were sharing some kind of sickie back and forth... not fun.

But I am back and have some fun things to share with you!

Back when I posted my homemade yogurt, I mentioned that I'd been using the yogurt in some yummy recipes, one of which I was specifically excited about. I'd heard all about overnight refrigerator (no cook!) oatmeal, heck, I had even recommended it to my sister in law! But I'd never actually tried it.  It calls for Greek yogurt, and I never wanted to use little man's "good" (ie: expensive) yogurt in something... well... just for me!  But with creamy, thick and delicious homemade coconut yogurt, there was nothing holding me back!

The process is unbelievably simple.

Seriously, just take a few ingredients and put them in a jar.


Screw on the lid, shake the whole thing up, then put the jar in the fridge.

That's it.

The next morning, open up the jar and...


...voila! Breakfast!

This is SO delicious. The liquid is soaked in by the oats, perfectly softening them up to exactly the consistency that you'd expect from perfectly cooked oatmeal. And I added chia seeds to mine, which not only help the oatmeal's texture, but add an amazing health boost to start your morning.


Little man and little miss pretty much refused to try this, which is frustrating, but it's so good that I have made it a few more times, because I really enjoy it, and it's just so quick and easy.  I can't wait to try other flavorings in this, too - it is so easy to customize to any preference or taste.

Trust me - you want to try this!


Overnight Refrigerator Oats
(from The Yummy Life)

1/4 cup old fashioned oats (not quick or steel cut)
1/3 cup milk (I used coconut milk beverage)
1/4 cup Greek yogurt (I used homemade coconut milk yogurt)
1 1/2 teaspoons chia seeds
2 teaspoons maple syrup

In an eight-ounce mason jar (or any small lidded container), combine all of the ingredients. Carefully secure the lid onto the jar and shake well, until everything is well combined. Place the jar in the refrigerator overnight, or up to two days. Eat chilled.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I have this every. single. morning. It is so easy! I have tried everything from berries to PB2 to cinnamon and brown sugar. It is so good! And filling!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tia, I can't wait to try tons of different options - can you even believe it took me this long to try it?? Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I need to try this. I feel healthy just reading about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. and ps. I don't really like yogurt. It works just as well with a little extra milk (or whatever milk substitute you are using.) I do force myself to put some greek in for added protein most days though. Especially if I am doing berries, then I use strawberry greek yogurt.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails