Saturday, November 24, 2012

Egg Free, Dairy Free Pumpkin Pie

Ah, Thanksgiving. The wonderful time of year where we appreciate our good fortune by overeating and watching football.

We are fortunate that we live close enough to most of our family that we see each other pretty often. But that doesn't mean that we scrimp on the holidays. Oh, no. We still do it all - turkey, stuffing, potatoes, candied yams... you name it, I bet it was on the table.  My job is usually the baking - dessert and dinner rolls.

The only problem with the most traditional Thanksgiving desserts is that we now have food allergies to contend with. Pecan pie? There's no way that little man will be able to have that. But pumpkin pie? I knew there had to be a way.

A quick google search led me to several different options. But I wasn't looking for a no-bake custard, and there's no way I would get daddy to eat it if I used tofu... and then I found this recipe, and I knew I had a winner.

For the crust, I used my easy pie crust recipe, since it doesn't involve butter. I simply substituted coconut milk for the milk called for in the recipe. Easy enough.  And little man helped me press the dough into the pie pan.

DSC04022

I then crimped the edges as best I could...

DSC04026

Little man wasn't done helping me, though. Once the crust was set aside (no pre-baking for this recipe), it was time to put the filling together. And it is super duper easy. Simply combine all of the ingredients...

DSC04028

...then blend!

DSC04031

I only have a mini-blender, so I used my immersion blender. Again - easy enough!

All that was left to do was pour the filling into the waiting crust...

DSC04034

...and bake!

DSC04036

Well, the color looked decent, and it smelled good - I was hoping that it would pass the taste test with the family at the big dinner.

And the results?

DSC04056

Awesome! Little man ate it up and so did the rest of us. The flavor was delicious, the texture was just right - no one missed the eggs or sweetened condensed milk at all, and we agreed that we now have a new go-to pumpkin pie recipe!


Egg-Free, Dairy-Free Pumpkin Pie
(from GoDairyFree)

2 cups canned pumpkin, solid-pack (you could use fresh pumkin puree, just make sure you drain it really well)
1 cup full fat soymilk (I used canned coconut milk)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon molasses or blackstrap molasses
1 teaspoon cinnamon, grounded
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon ginger, ground
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon allspice or cloves, grounded
9″ unbaked pastry crust  (see recipe below)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and blend well using an imersion blender (or combine in a blender, if you have one large enough).  Pour the filling into the unbaked crust and bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes, covering the edges with foil if they begin to brown too quickly.
Cool on a rack, cover, and refrigerate overnight before serving (It is even better after setting overnight).



Easy Pie Crust, Dairy Free Version
(only slightly adapted from allrecipes)

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons coconut milk (or other dairy milk substitute)

Place all ingredients into a 9 inch pie plate. Using a fork, stir everything together. Pat the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the pie plate. Using the same fork, poke holes in the bottom and sides of the crust.


Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh..Soy Milk! I was scrolling for how you made such a rich, lush pumpkin pie fairy and egg free. D loves Soy Milk...only drinks soy milk..and also loves pumpkin pie. I'm going t have to make this for him (and me lol) Oh...your pie dough crimp is beautiful! Mine always looks like it got smushed against something lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails