Monday, July 12, 2010

Kabobs

Tonight for dinner, for the first time ever, I made kabobs. It is probably really weird that I have never actually made kabobs before. I have eaten them, witnessed them being made, helped with certain parts of the process, but this was the first time I ever made them all by myself.

Part of the reason we don't make these on a regular basis is that we don't have a barbecue, and kabobs are most commonly cooked on the grill. I also don't have a grill pan, so there goes that option. I do have one of those George Foreman grills, but I rarely pull it out, and can't really see doing kabobs on it... so kabobs have fallen pretty low on the to-make list.

Until today.

We had a busy afternoon planned, so I actually did all of the prep work this morning, roughly chopping vidalia onions, red peppers and eggplant, as well as cubing the beef and preparing the marinade. All of the prep work done, meat marinating in the fridge, we were totally free to enjoy our afternoon.

When it was time to assemble dinner, all that was left to do was soak the skewers and cut the tomatoes. Little miss had the job of (carefully) handing me skewers as I was ready for them, and then to make sure I put a little bit of everything onto each kabob.

In lieu of any kind of grill, our kabobs were cooked under the broiler. It only took about 12 minutes for these guys to cook, with me turning them every three minutes or so, and I was really pleased that the veggies didn't burn. Every time I opened the oven to turn the skewers, little miss told me how good the kabobs smelled, and asked me when she could eat a kabob. To be honest, I think she just really liked saying the word "kabob," but can you really blame her?

Served on a bed of couscous with a fresh ear of corn, the kabobs made a great dinner. Little miss ate hers all up (with the exception of the eggplant, but I still thought that was great!), and daddy and I did, too. I can't believe that it took me so long to make these, and I look forward to making them again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails